Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Some thoughts...


...now that footie season will resume starting this Saturday (for my teams anyway!). Ironically enough, now that I've started supporting 3 teams from 3 different leagues (explicitly) for the first time, I'm pretty certain that none of these teams will come out top of their respective leagues. Sad but true - My brother always used to diss me for supporting teams that are at the top but I'm sure he'll have to take that back now!

Man U: I've supported since I was tiny so my loyalty remains with them without a doubt. I have some teensy weensy hope that they may just end up 2nd! How sad that this once magnificent team has fallen badly. Given that the midfield seems to really lack any creative juice and Rooney has been totally off pace thus far, I can only hope for Hernandez and Berbatov to pull off some miracles this season! Tall order I know. Berbatov isn't even the highest rated out-and-out striker in the BCL, let alone Europe (that belongs to Drogba, Llorente, Milito, Eto'o or Villa!) and Hernandez seems to have some problems keeping his balance (or keeping the ball in most cases!). Oh well, I'm hoping MU gets to the UCL semis...but I'm really not that optimistic about their chances though. MU's defences and firepowers should be good enough to take them far - but a weak midfield will definitely come back to bite them in the end. Sadly enough, there's only so many games 37 or 38 year olds can play.

FCB: Started supporting them after Germany's stellar World Cup campaign with a severe case of liking for Lahm, Schweini, Klose and Muller. BUT after a horrific start of the season, they are now lying in 12th position. I really don't think they can possibly make up for the lost points, which is a shame as they have been playing without 2 of their undoubtedly most creative midfield players, Robben and Ribery, both marred by injuries 'til year end. Sigh. Perhaps UCL finalist, again? That's probably the most I can hope for at this stage. Right now, I just hope they can overcome Hannover this Saturday. With Klose out with hamstring injury picked up from the game last night, I will have to pray that Gomez and Olic make themselves useful. Muller hasn't been playing brilliantly and Schweini is probably still out for this game. When everyone gets back on the team, FCB's starting 11 should have a world-class midfield and strike-force - but defence is something that has to be improved. God, how I hate Demichelis. =.="

RM: My support for them only started due to one person - Mesut Ozil. I've been totally enamoured with him since the first time I saw him play in WC10 and never looked back! Yes, he may appear lethargic and tired while he's on the field, but I have to say that EVERY single time he touches the ball, I am always kept in eager anticipation on what he would do next - his crosses, passing and creativeness on the field has blown me away. I know that I am totally over-reacting and most likely overestimating his abilities but personally, he's my favourite person to watch. I have to admit that out of the 3 teams I support, RM is the team that is either going all the way (i.e., treble) or flop quite badly! The team's quality is excellent though - but I think the defence could be further improved still. Can't fault Casillas so far, Carvalho has been marvellous and Ramos a bit inconsistent but generally not too bad. I don't know why people rate Marcello so highly - I don't think he's a good defender and he gives the ball away a bit too much. Xabi has been fantastic :D and Khedira, doing his job I guess! Ozil is still the most exciting player on the pitch (bias Em :P) - far more entertaining than CR7's selfishness while Higuain should realise that he's actually a decent passer because every time he does that, some other player seems to be able to score! Di Maria has been outstanding lately, if not a bit inaccurate and his ball control is still lacking. Not seen much of Benzema that has impressed me and Canales, well I've not seen him (with my own eyes) play for more than 10mins! Don't get me wrong, I can spot 101 weaknesses in Ozil too: he's not clinical enough in his finishing and I think he needs to start being more confident at taking shots himself, instead of passing it to someone else. He also takes a while to warm up in matches - which isn't good when it's an important match! I'm slightly worried about what's gonna happen when Kaka gets back from injury as they both play the same roles in the team. I also somehow can't see all of them fitting on the pitch and at the mo, don't know who is going to be the sacrificial lamb. Thankfully, that won't be happening 'til the beginning of next year so I hope Ozil will improve enough to be the guaranteed starter by then! Strange (if not biased?), but I actually think he has improved since the first time I saw him play - more assertive and I think he's slowly trying to take on the shooting role in the team. And for the first time yesterday, I noticed him running back to defend - I think it's just that I've never noticed this previously. As "lethargic" or "tired" as he looks, when he get's the ball, he sure can run and outpace defenders. Maybe it's part of his grand scheme to deceive defenders into thinking he's tired or something! =) I am praying for RM to win the treble - but with Barca, Inter and Chelski standing in their way (I'm not naming FCB or MU here because I'd be equally happy if any one of my teams wins the UCL!), it may prove to be difficult to achieve all these in the first season for Jose's underlings - but nonetheless, am keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Alrighto - I've definitely been ranting too much here. But this is basically my 2-cents worth on my 3 fav teams. SO other than hoping for an awesome G&R concert tonight, let's hope Saturday will make Em a happy girl =) =) =)

*Listening to Street of Dreams by G&R*



No comments: