Tuesday, November 30, 2010

So Tuesday came after all...

After surprisingly being able to sleep quite well (before having some flashes of blaugrana images right before I fell asleep) last night, I woke up to a wintery Tuesday morning. It's snowing in London! My usual 15 minute walk to work took closer to 30mins since I'm v clumsy so I turtled to work for fear of slipping!

Anyway, time for the post-mortem (and my final whinging post!). So what went wrong? I re-read my post on my worries before el clasico and am totally amazed that all my predictions and fears came true. I must be either a genius or an obsessed gal - but how I wish I was wrong. I'm not gonna give any excuses/defend anybody for such a bad game - one thing that was clear last night was that Barca wanted to win more and were pushing for the win non-stop from kick off. Surely we could have done better in the midfield if we weren't so afraid of them? Where was the pace that we were so used to up til last night? How come we seemed so slow? So many questions and zero answers to them. Mou said he couldn't help the team in the 2nd half and I agree with him - by then, we had already given up.

We gave them too much space in the midfield and got killed, the zonal marking clearly didn't work and I still stand by my view that taking Ozil off was a mistake although it wouldn't have made any difference in the end. I also think Mou knew the outcome of this game even before it was played - it's just a really harsh lesson for the players, which hopefully will make them get up again. After getting up their high horses up until last night (I knew after watching Gijon that we were getting wee complacent), being dragged back to earth in such a fashion is not sooo bad. Yeah, it's humiliating, embarrassing, painful, horrible, xxxx , xxxx, etc. (fill in with own words) - but better lose to Barca than to any other team is my opinion. So what if the gulf between them and us is bigger than the Gulf of Mexico? We'll only get better - that I'm very sure of. Throughout the years, MU has lost by big margins before too (but nothing as bad as this that I've watched with my own eyes) - and they always seem to find their way back. All good football teams do.

Knowing the practical me, I don't care if we lose the next clasico as long as we win the La Liga at the end. So no more dropping points and hopefully *fingers crossed* we can bounce back in time to face Valencia this Saturday!

Alrighto - time to get back to being chirpy again! =D

*Listening to Live in a Hiding Place by Idlewild*


No comments: