Thursday, November 11, 2010

crossing the hurdle...

...so RM finally managed to expunge themselves from the CDR nightmare. For the past 2 years, they have failed to get past the last 32 (with both times falling to clubs from lower divisions!!). With the 5-1 smashing of Murcia at the Bernabeu last night, we are through to the next round - very happy for that! As expected, my fav dude didn't play - but the players on the pitch last night were great. I managed to catch the bits of the game intermittently (trying to concentrate on 2 matches was not easy though!), and I have to admit that during the times when I was fixated on the laptop, RM were in cruise control. Even with 10-men on the field for the last 10 minutes, we added 2 goals - one from a penalty (from Benz!! Think CR7 gave him the chance to get his name on the scoresheet since he scored earlier on!) and the last one a really wonderful FK from Xabi XD! We did concede a penalty earlier on - otherwise I don't think Murcia would have had the chance to score from freeplay. In all, great game from ALL players...except Canales. Man, he was quite bad and I don't think it was meant to be the Ozil type of intentionally *bad* play (i.e., actually man-marking the opponent's playmaker) since there's no playmaker in Murcia anyway!!! He even got a b*llocking from Mou after the match! Hopefully he bucks up and proves himself on the pitch in future. Slight disappointment but he is only 19 so plenty of time... =)

The match that I was meant to concentrate on was MU vs Citeh. God, that was terrible. We were so toothless in front of the goal that I felt more and more frustrated as the match went by. In the last 20 mins, the play picked up as both sides were looking for the winning goal then. In all, a 0-0 draw left the game very stale, boring and me getting more and more worried about the outlook for the season. We need quicker players - players who can carry the ball QUICKLY from one end to the other - I thought we played at the speed of a turtle to be honest. In the midfield, we tried to play like Barca (have to applaud the passing which was quite good overall)...except we didn't quite have a Messi-ah or the vision of Xavi and Iniesta. I found it quite funny actually. Perhaps I am so used to watching RM, Barca and La Liga teams now that I'm treating that style as the *standard* bearer of footie? I don't know. Anyway, all I know is I don't like this "slow" style that MU is currently playing - we used to be superb at counter attacking (OK, maybe that was back in the days of CR7....)! Hernandez is quick but not as good at ball control yet, Nani is...ermm.. trying to hard to be CR7 when he's kinda miles behind and Berba had a good few touches but I think the link-in with the mid-field is not great, so he has to track back a lot. Park runs around a lot but loses the ball just as much though. I could go on forever but I think I should stop. Hopefully they will improve vs Villa on Saturday *keeping fingers crossed*.

Okie dokies, that's the wrap up of matches last night. I'm off to LP tonight....can't wait to let my hair down! =)

*Listening to Bet U Wish U Had Me Back by Halestorm*

No comments: