Saturday, January 08, 2011

Second best?

Tomorrow is a pretty big day in terms of footie matches for my teams. MU takes on L'pool in the 3rd round of the FA cup while RM faces the Yellow Submarines - gulp. Dangerous matches that could go either way...and I'm truly worried.

Facing L'pool is never easy - I guess Hodgson's sacking didn't come at a better time. After getting the boot today, I'm pretty sure the players will finally *show up* for the MU game if you know what I mean. It's been a pretty sad 6 months for Hodgson - he never commanded the respect of his players and his tactics were sometimes truly terrible - never buying/subbing the right players and somehow, his team was always playing with a sense of inferiority... as though they had a point to prove (when there obviously wasn't). Anyhow, LFC ALWAYS chooses to show up when facing MU so I'm predicting a very closely contested yet exciting match tomorrow. SAF says he will field a strong squad and I think so too - I'm guessing the strong line-up would include VdS, Vidic, Evra, Rafael, Evra, Nani, Anderson, Giggs, Fletcher, Berba, Hernandez/Roo (not sure if he's recovered completely from his ankle injury though). In the past 2/3 matches, I've already begun sensing that we're REALLY missing Park :( - I really wished he didn't have to play for the stupid Asian cup. Sigh. (The only good thing about this Asian cup is that Shinji Kagawa will be unavailable for Dortmund, which bodes well for Bayern - lol!!!). A Berba hat-trick repeat would be great but probably to much to ask for!

The other match is even more nerve wrecking. RM takes on Villareal, who has been superb the whole season except for very few hiccups - they even gave Barca a run of their money earlier on in the season! Nilmar and Rossi are fantastique - and I'm not sure whether our defence is fast enough to cope with these two tricksters. Esp when Pepe (the faster one :( ) is out. Albiol is alright but sometimes seems a bit shaky at the back. Mou got a big flacking for losing our Levante match the other day - I don't blame him - the play was so poor and the players played like some old grannies on the field. It's no wonder why most of them aren't starters.... Anyway, our starting 11 for tomorrow has been announced: Benz, CR7, Ozil, di Maria, Xabi, Lass, Marcelo, Carvalho, Albiol, Ramos and Iker. Kaka will come on as a sub - hopefully NOT for Ozil :( I'm increasingly worried that I won't get to see Ozil playing much once Kaka recovers fully -it's really not fair given that he's been playing so well! :( :( :( On the team, we really need to start playing well again - we weren't good vs Getafe and were pathetic vs Levante. I really hate our extended El Clasico hangover...and I really hope we get out of it soon. As much as I don't want to put the blame on Benz, I have to admit that I wouldn't be half as worried if Pipita was around. I really miss his runs, his almost telepathic linking/play with di Maria and his infinitely higher work rate. Benz is so unthreatening and toothless on the field that it really frustrates the hell out of me at times... (OK, I must be patient...breathe in, breathe out...). It's gonna be tough tomorrow but I'm seriously praying for a win, ugly or otherwise! In the case that we lose/draw, I need to warn my friends NOT to talk to me for the next 24 hours....

Earlier on, I was watching (intermittently, admittedly) the Sociedad vs Sevilla match which was pretty good - Sevilla edged Sociedad 3-2. The ultimate upside is the presence of Jesus Navas, who has come back from injury - he is SOO CUTEE! I could just stare into those eyes all day...... :D


Barca are playing Depor right now - it's so gonna be a white wash.... Sheesh. I really can't stand the fact that ALL teams roll over for Barca...

Anyway, let's keep our fingers, toes, hands, legs crossed for tomorrow! =)

*Listening to Firework by Katy Perry*

No comments: