Monday, July 12, 2010

Spain are champs!

And so the match finally ended after 120 minutes of gruelling football - and by gruelling I mean filled with quite a lot of drama and violence! Although goalless until the 116th minute, both sides fluffed "sure score" chances but also showed sheer grit. Maybe this has something to do with nerves? I have to give credit to the Dutch for they managed to shut out the effective passing of the Spanish in mid-field and their defence was solid...in fact sometimes they looked even more impenetrable than Spain. But hell were they rough! That kungfu kick by De Jong on Alonso must have cracked at least one of his ribs, no? Anyway, I think they had a total of 8 yellow cards in the game, and one of the guys got deservedly sent off. Nonetheless, Spain's dominance was pretty much unquestionable although the Dutch were a dangerous lot (esp Arjen Robben - Sneijder was completely shut out in this game though...). Given that Spain actually fluffed a lot more chances than they usually do, I was over the moon when Iniesta's goal happened - I wouldn't have been able to bear watching Spain lose due to penalty shoot-outs! The one sad Spanish element (to me anyway) was watching Torres being relegated to a sub (he came on during extra-time), barely got a chance at the ball and later on injured himself (apparently a groin injury). I wonder if this will be the end for him?

All in all, the champs did win as they should have - but I have my faith in the young German team. Looking forward to the Euro 2012....

I'm already wondering how am I gonna survive now that WC10 is over - any ideas?

*Listening to Over and Over by Three Days Grace*

No comments: