Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Football fever!

The football fever has indeed set in - the overall performance has been mostly unexpected but genuinely entertaining! Some traditionally strong teams were rattled in the group stages (Spain, Germany), losing to the underdogs - some even failing to get through (read: France). Now as we're nearing the end of the group stages, the 2 teams that I support (admittedly one grudgingly - Spain - and the other willingly - Portugal) are still far from safe. All will be decided on Friday so maybe I'll learn the positive or negative outcome while watching Pearl Jam in Hyde Park! I obviously have little faith in the England team and really detest how their supporters seem to have unrealistic views on the abilities of their players (I mean, have they seen how Kaka or Messi plays??). Don't get me wrong, most of these players play for top-flight clubs in the premier league - but somehow the skills displayed don't show any sense of fluidity or even style. Perhaps I shouldn't expect every team to play like Brazil or Portugal - the beautiful passes, the triangle formation...even Spain (in my view) can't compare!

Oh well, enough ranting. I'm glad Germany scrapped through tonight - don't ask me why I'm supporting them in the first place! Hopefully this world cup will introduce a new winner into the hall of fame (only 6 previously: Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, Uruguay).

*Listening to End of me by Apocalyptica feat. Gavin Rossdale*

No comments: